Monday, April 4, 2011

A Little Tongue In Cheek Reality Check

This is a video Andrew Klavan: Why Are Conservatives So Mean? I received via facebook.  It makes a very clear, and somewhat humorous, statement that hopefully even the exalted elite could not misunderstand.  However knowing the liberal mindset, I am surrounded by them after all, I remain unconvinced it can make it past the filter of their "world view". I particularly liked the de Tocqueville references.  However my favorite of the quotes attributed to de Tocqueville is:

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
Alexis de Tocqueville
If you don't think we are there already I am not sure you have been paying attention.  A recent article shows that for March 2011 we spent more than 8 times our national monthly revenue.  Now I don't know how you handle your budget, but at my house we would be way past talking about bankruptcy, even at 2 times my monthly check!
Fortunately the Congressional Budget Committee under Paul Ryan is planning on cutting $4 Trillion over the next 10 years. That may seem like a lot, but when you consider our annual deficit for the last 3 years has been $1, $1.9, and $1.7 trillion, it should become fairly obvious we are still deeply mired on the wrong side of the equation.  Reality has to penetrate our collective conscious soon, or we will all be wondering why the government got so mean when the bottom falls out and the roughly 52.6% (Christian Science Monitor report on analysis by Economist Gary Schilling) who get money from the government, stop getting it.  Maybe it is time to consider pushing back against the spending and working for that balanced budget amendment!

No comments:

Post a Comment